Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Date Ain't Nothin' But a Number

August 18, 2012. Yesterday. It's been marked on my calendar, embedded in my brain, for months. It was Jake's due date. But Jake didn't think twice about it. It was just another day to him. "I'm comfy and I'm not budging. I have it made in here and I know it." That was his message to anyone and everyone that was listening. "Jake Watch 2012" began yesterday morning at about 7:00am. (Well ok, "Jake Watch" has been going on for about a week now, but I mean like the official one.) Neal and I had been awake for a little bit and couldn't lay there any longer. I had my weekend treat of coffee, which I look forward to all week, and Neal made me breakfast. We then got down to business....the business of doing our part to "help" Jake arrive "on time". We went to the park and walked. And walked. It was harder for me than it had been yet and that was encouraging! I think I may have even waddled. It seemed promising. Next we had a little snack and headed out to the pool. (May I just say that having a pool this summer has been fantastic. A lifesaver even.) We spent the afternoon lounging and swimming, reading and walking the pool. And what happened? I got a nice tan, almost finished my book, and got some good exercise. All good things, yes, but not exactly what I was going for. Well, that was ok. We showered and changed and headed on over to Neal's mom Susie's house for dinner. We sat on the deck talking and laughing for hours. We wanted to eat a little later because we thought maybe if we kinda threw Jake off his schedule a little it might spur him to come on out. We had the best red beans and rice topped with tomatoes and....jalapenos! Now I've been eating jalapenos every day on my sandwiches and I had a nice pile of them on my dinner last night. Jake didn't care. (We joked last night that he had set up his office in there with a typewriter and everything and is not gonna budge!) We stayed up late in an attempt to throw off baby's schedule even more but to no avail. I even had some light contractions in the late night/early morning hours. They weren't even very irregular. But as soon as I lay down they stopped. I understand that only 5% of babies arrive on their actual due date. I get that. Nothing to be done bout it really. I mean we can try all these methods but, well, it's not time until its time. So today we're being lazy and loving it. We've been lounging and watching Andy Griffith reruns all afternoon. And Jake is just a-squirmin'. Maybe that means he's getting restless and ready and maybe it doesn't. I'm about to go walking. Maybe it will make a difference, maybe not. I will say this in all seriousness: I really do not want to have to be induced, which will be exactly what happens if I hit 41 weeks. Especially with it being my first child. I don't want stronger contractions and a more difficult, intense labor. I want to know what it feels like to go into labor on my own. I do know that it is out of my control and that however it happens will be the way God intended for whatever reasons He has. He does know best. I know I sure don't, so I'm pretty glad He's in control and not me. But I'm still going walking. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment